Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Inside the head of an introvert, Part 2 - It’s all about the poetry


    Before I go into the post today, I need to apologize to my readers. Last night when I posted I did not proof read my posting before publishing and as a result my readers had to endure some atrocious grammatical and spelling errors. It was rather lat and I was quite tired but that is no excuse not to proof my blogs before publishing them. I will do my best in the future to make sure and proof read my post before publishing them, so you, my readers, do not have to endure anymore such errors. Now on to this today's post. I told you to look forward to a follow up post to last night's blog….so here we go!
    Years ago I use to write poetry. I was pretty diligent about writing it until I began to crave more than just my poetry. I wanted to write more. Much, much more. The first two poems I ever wrote were called "Oh Turkey Leg" and "Spooky Sisters." I have no idea whatever became of the poems but I do remember they were funny. Can you imagine writing a poem about a turkey leg! Or how about writing about how spooky (and witchy) your sisters are! (Of course two of my sister were born at Halloween so technically that is where the idea came from.) I am sure that if I ever found them I would probably at the simplicity of life. To a fourth grader though it was my finest example of my writing…I even thought I could be the next Shel Silverstein or A.A. Milne, two of my favorite poets.
    Over the years my poetry has come to mean many different things to me. I can still look at each poem that I have written and tell you what prompted me to write that particular poem – I poured my emotions into these poems so each one is a part of me. As I grew as a person, an individual coming into their own, the emotions behind the poems took on additional meanings. I could see how they related to other parts of my life or even how they related to my life in present day. I realized that thanks to the emotion behind them these poems would carry me for years to come and I hope that someday they will touch others lives as they have touched mine.
    So as you can see the theme behind today's post is about my poetry, something very close to my heart. Poetry can invoke powerful emotions and those emotions can evoke powerful memories. There is real beauty and truth behind poetry; it tells a story and helps bring meaning where there was none.
    A few years ago I self published a poetry book called Of Memories and Imagination. In it I published some eighty-five poems, a few essays, and a short story. Once a week I would like to share with you some of the poetry I have written over the years. Tonight I plan to start with two poems that are all about me. Last night I talked about how I was an introvert, shy and reserved, and while these poems where written around sixteen or seventeen years ago, they still show the type of person I am.
    I believe that everyone has a core of who they are and as they grow and learn and evolve – that core is still there hidden in the background at times but it is there. I also believe that as you get older you come to realize and accept who you are as a person. There comes that point in every person's life that they must face this realization and when that happens they find themselves comfortable and happy and not caring about what other people think of them because they know who they are and if others can't see that then, well, it is nothing to worry about. That is where I am in my life or have been for the past few years – I have come to accept the type of person I am, the type of person I have always been and after reading these two poems, apparently I have know it for quite some time and just forgot it.
    The poems are called I AM and Who Am I? I hope that you enjoy them, in fact I hope you enjoy all of the poetry I share from here on out.
    I wish all a good day and night! It is now time for me to be off to bed.
    ~Natalie


I AM
I am a pair of jeans, relaxed
and comfortable.

I am a variety of ethnic foods from summers spent
in museum learning about different cultures.

I am a style called stream of conscious for
acting and speaking how I think.

I am the New World Symphony for the spirit,
turmoil, and lyrical flow in me.

I am a philodendron for my randomness and
seemingly lack of direction.

I am rosy pink for my soft gentle demeanor
and a hint of vibrance.
 
I am the wind, a free spirit always going
my own way.

 

Who Am I?

I run, I jump, I sing, I dance.
I am a human being
I am alive with a brain that works and
Legs and arms that move.
But the question is:
WHO AM I?
Does anyone ever know who they are?
I am a child.
Scared yet wondrous
A child who wants and gets
Attention and love
I am a teenager.
On the go and ready to grow up
But yet I am still a child
I need more time to grow
I am my mother
I have her temper and
Still I have her intelligence.
I am my father
I have his calmness and
I have his love for the outdoors
I am my sisters
I am all of them rolled into one
I am history
What I write, do or say
Will be the history of my family
I am my poetry
What I write is my feelings and emotions
Everything that comes out on the paper,
Is the person that I am.
But out of all, the most important is,
I AM MYSELF!
I am what I write and think and say!
I do what I think,
I don't go with the crowd
I am different and unique
I see things at my level not at others
I am all that I write and more
No one can say who they are unless they know themselves
I know that no words on paper can say who I am
But I do know that through my writings
I reveal very slowly the person who I am...
Because my writings are
WHO I AM................


No comments: